Saturday, December 19, 2009

For Cathy (and all my lovely blogging friends)

I have been functioning on survival mode (for oh soooooo many reasons), but have started sorting through 1000's of unread blog postings and have been thinking about making a post or two myself; however, I just don't seem to have anything new to show.  Just a few ALMOST finished things. (Stay tuned for a my finished Wonky Log Cabin [aka Amy Butler Extravaganza] quilt.  It's back from the quilter's and just needs binding!). Then this morning I was reading Cathy's latest posts (Cabbage Quilts), and I just had to show her a few things.  You don't mind -- do you?

Cathy was my introduction to blogging.  I found her blog through pictures she had posted to the Kaffe Fassett Collective group on Facebook, and I wrote her an email asking how I could follow or subscribe to her blog.  She was still fairly new to blogging herself and wasn't sure how to help me, but I finally figured it out and Cabbage Quilts was my first blog subscription.  And it remains one of my favorites.  If you follow Cathy's blog, you know what I mean.

Anyway, Cathy and I share more in common than just quilting, so without any further ado, Christmas pictures for Cathy and everyone else:



I love all things blue and white.  Always have, and probably always will.  Cathy has recently shared some pictures of her blue and white pottery.  I have more china than pottery, but it's in just about every room of the house.  Right now most of looks like this (storage)...



...so that I have room to put out this...





I guess I also have a thing for Spode (Blue Italian, Blue Room, Christmas Tree, Trapnell, Billingsley Rose...) -- it's all good!



And, I also love nativity scenes.  Cathy and I have this same one by Willow Tree on our pianos.  Here are a few others from around the world:



















Cathy also posted a picture of a wonderful old spool she found.  I have some old spools, too, and usually use them as candle holders.  But I love the colorful ribbon that she keeps on hers.





I have some spools that are more similar to Cathy's with the large, flat ends, but they are at the beach cottage right now.

And, of course, we both share a love of arguably one of the most beautiful fabrics ever designed (by Kaffe or anyone else):  August Rose.



Thanks, Cathy, for introducing me to blogging, making such gorgeous, inspiring quilts, and giving me something to post about today.  I'm back!

With wishes, true and kind for a wonderful holiday season with family and friends -- Joan

24 comments:

  1. Great to see you back Joan-was wondering where you were.
    Thanks for the show. What lovely collections of china you have. Loved seeing all the Christmas displays.Cathy certainly is an inspiration.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous is your post today! I love your Christmas plates & all of the nativities. Cathy is very special...thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Joan, what a wonderful post to wake up to this morning, thank you so much for your beautiful words, I was so thrilled you joined blogland, you are such an inspiration and I love reading your blog. I had no idea we had such similar tastes! Isn't it fabulous that from the other side of the world we have gathered similar things in our houses!!! I adore your blue and white collection, and your green and white Christmas Tree collection is awesome. How fun to bring that out each year. I'd love to hear the story behind your nativity scenes sometime, don't yours look gorgeous on your piano? And I love your idea of using your bobbins for candle holders, might have to do that when I've used up all my ribbons!!! As for August Rose, that would be the one fabric I would ask for a re-run from Kaffe, how divine is it...I've used it in a lot of quilts too, it seems to look good with anything!! Thank you Joan, what a beautiful post, I love it and wish you and your family a fabulous Christmas too, Cathy xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, So glad to see you back. My goodness, you and Cathy do have a ton in common. I just love reading her blog and she is quite an inspiration. I love yours too and enjoyed this post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to read one of your posts again Joan. You have lots to show and talk about here. I love all your wonderful Christmassy things but the Nativity scenes are fantastic. The one that looks like model clay is my favourite because it reminds me of my favourite one. The spools are so nice as candlesticks, what a great idea and The August Rose is one of my favourite fabrics too, I wish I had more than some little scraps. I'd love to have a china collection like yours, fabulous. I wish you a very joyous and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Joan and thanks for this lovely post. You do have a lot in common with Cathy. You have a lovely collection of nativity scenes and they are all beautiful as is your Christmas dinnerware. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Joan, you have some great collections going on there! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Joan, nice that you are back! I was beginning to worry.
    What a pretty collection of china you have. I love blue and white china too. ( and a lot of other colors and styles... ) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your pretty collections with us! It is indeed great to hear from you again! May you and yours have wonderful holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see your wonky log cabin quilt! I'm sure it turned out looking fabulous.

    How cool that you and Cathy became friends through your blogs. I love stories like that, especially when you find out how much you have in common. I love seeing different versions of nativity scenes, which is the warmest representation of Christmas of all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love your blue and white collection! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi joan...am sorry i did not know you went missing..although i did see you were not as noticeable on farmville giggle giggle

    we too have the willow tree nativity and gosh i love your santas and your christmas china

    funny ...do you remember when you started blogging and you were asking us on the Kaffe Fassett Love group on Flickr how to upload more than one photo per post?

    Just look at you now!

    Merry Christmas to you and all you love..getting to know you this past year has been one of the highlights of my year.

    Kathleen
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joan! I loved seeing the pictures you shared... beautiful collections. (I didn't catch the tiny size of the two nativity scenes at first, then the penny caught my eye. Good idea... everything looks the same size on our blog pics.)

    I like seeing snippets of the other, non-stitchy side of each others' lives. We each build these little circles of friends we follow. If we all lived close - isn't that a lovely dream - then we'd get together and would share much more than this special craft we have in common. (Remember how much everyone was interested in your reading?) In doing so, we find more to enjoy or find in common about each other, like you and Cathy.

    I hope life is returning to normal for you. Mine has been out of balance for a few weeks (work... sigh) and I too have over 1000 unread posts and am slowly catching up, so I sympathize with you. Sending you warm Christmas wishes! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joan, I love your collections! They're so festive and the quilt is just a dream!

    Merry Christmas to you and a happy, happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have just come to your blog for the first time through cathy's and i will be visiting now frequently. love all your collections, merry christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HOORAY!!! I am SO...SEW glad you're back!!! I've been missing you. Was sending you + juju and hoping all was well. This time of year can be especially challenging.

    LOVED seeing your gorgeous collections and decorations!!! Thank you for sharing. Your home and heart is indeed festive! Enjoy!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joan, so glad to see you back in this space! looks like you found lots of beauty to post about. I love your blue and white china collection - food seems to looks yummier on blue and white. Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Larissa. I always try to reply to comments by email, but your email is never linked to your comments so I realized that I keep replying to "no reply".

    Thank you for following my blog and sharing comments -- it always means so much. Blue and white certainly is a classic and seems to go in almost any decor. Plus -- food does look great on it! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  19. kindred spirits!!!!

    Jone, Merry Christmas...we all understand "survival mode." no worries. :) we'll be here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas! I collect blue and white china also. So nice to see your collection and your decorations

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas! Your blue and white collection is just beautiful...

    xoxo,

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow Joan! You have quite the collection, very, very pretty. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year Joan! After functioning on survival mode myself for some time I am really enjoying my bloggy break, and have found some time to catch up on all the blog posts that are waiting in my reader.

    What a lovely post, and how wonderful to have so much in common! Love the nativity scenes - particularly the Willow Tree scene.

    I hope you have had a wonderful Christmas holiday, and that 2010 will bring you health and happiness to you and all your family.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love all ur nativity sets......especially the Willow one.....I like that Mary is holding baby Jesus so he doesn't get lost from year to year!Your home looks beautilful!Love all ur collections.

    ReplyDelete