Wednesday I wrote a blog post that I never posted. I had been trying to figure out how to put in a zipper on a gathered clutch for a flickr swap, and gave up. I went to the computer and poured out my frustrations, then suddenly stood up and went right back to the sewing machine for one last attempt. Success! I finally got that zipper in. I went back to the computer and changed my post to a Wordless Wednesday, showing off my partially completed clutch. I can't tell you how many times I opened and closed that zipper in awe.
A few of you noticed the seam ripper in the photo. Yep. That's because when I tried to do some topstitching on either side of the zipper, I paid no attention to the status of the lining on the other side, defeating the purpose of the zipper since there was no longer an opening to access. No matter. The hard part was over.
Molly and I started working on this clutch at the end of June, but stopped when it was time to put in the zipper. I was originally stumped by the fact that the pattern calls for an 8" zipper, which is not an actual zipper size. Although I was afraid to shorten a zipper, Penny (Sew Take A Hike) provided the encouragement and I was able to accomplish that. However, I still could not figure out how to install the darn thing. Last Sunday afternoon, I packed the whole thing up and took it over to a friend's house. Kathy sews a lot, took one look at it, and explained my obvious problem. I was trying to use directions for a regular zipper to install an invisible zipper. She did some figuring and finally sewed the invisible zipper in for me. So, I never actually did any of the sewing on this one. It looks pretty good in the photo, but is a little flat (no interfacing on the back exterior piece) and is ever so slightly wonky.
Much better, but the little pouch that was almost never finished. This is the one I thought had completely mastered me, only to go back and conquer it on the last attempt. The tabs on the zipper ends slope down a little, giving the top of the pouch a slightly rounded look. But it looks like it was intentional, so I'll say, as I always tell other people to say: "I meant to do that." This one was supposed to be for my gathered clutch swap partner, but I think I'll make another one for her (also with Good Folks fabrics), because I now know I can do better.
Not perfect, but getting pretty darn close! This one is for my poor hexie swap partner. I hope she believes in "better late than never".
I'm so pleased with myself, you'd think I had invented the zipper!
Now I'm off to practice by making clutches for a few more victims -- I mean friends!
And to remake the one for my swap partner.
With wishes, true and kind for zippered perfection -- Joan