Saturday, April 16, 2011

Creating and giving

As the tulips from last Saturday night's dinner began to fade this week, I tried to turn my attention to making wedding quilt blocks.


 I've only gotten as far as just starting to cut the strips for the wonky log cabin blocks.  My plans to make a couple of mock-up blocks last night were quickly tossed aside when I realized that I was going to have a full house for the evening.  Michael came home from Oregon State University for the weekend (and I love, love, LOVE having him at home), and Molly and Peter came over as well (and I adore that they have been coming at least once a week).  And Molly had plans of her own for the evening as she needed a little something for part of a shower gift for a friend and a birthday gift for another friend.  She knew just what fabric colors and style for each friend. 

And suddenly she was learning how to piece a wonky log cabin block and machine quilt!  I told you I'd make a quilter out of her!  I just didn't know it would be so soon!





Coasters!


Hot pad!

 Perfect gifts for two special friends.
The coasters are from a tutorial by Flossie Teacakes.

I am so impressed by Molly's work, I just couldn't stop taking pictures!
Sewing with Molly is such a delight, and I love seeing her at my mother's sewing machine!

We always manage to make one hot mess in the process of creating.

And speaking of creativity, we continue to be blessed by the amazing creativity of friends and family.  For example, a lovely gift arrived for Molly from her Aunt Ellen.




Taken right from the wedding invitation!  Molly and I were so blessed by her thoughtfulness and creativity.

And then there was another amazing shower today by a lovely and gracious friend, Terry.



 How beautiful is Terry?!?!  And look at what she did with a syrup bottle to go along with a gift of a waffle iron.

So cute!

Terry also gave Molly these pretty place card holders, adding these adorable cards that she made!
I love this gift!  The cards come in handy in all sorts of ways:


For the gluten free bride :).

Did you notice Terry's gorgeous apron, which was made for her by a friend several years ago?  It reminded me of these very pretty aprons on display at Anthropologie.  One of which may or may not make an appearance at a future shower....


A wonderful weekend so far, and there's still Sunday!

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

6 comments:

  1. Ah Joan it is so wonderful to come here and be caught up in the pre wedding creativity going on! Molly's sewing is inspiring and doesn't she have wonderful friends and family? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Joan! Your daughter must have been watching you because yes- her quilting is gorgeous. Aren't you a proud mama?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun you are having! If Molly is anything like my Megan, you will see the "nesting gene" ramp up even more once she's married...there will be lots of sewing going on, I bet! Thanks for giving us a peek into your joy...and what a pretty diamond Molly has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How fun to teach a new quilter. It looks like she picked up on it quickly!
    What a fun shower with talented ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - I love this post!! It is so fun to watch your planning and excitement for this monumental occasion. What a lovely family you have - and your friends are so dear to make gifts! You have put a big grin on my face and warm fuzzies in my tummy. Really.

    ReplyDelete