Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The beginning....


Friday I turned 50, and today I started a blog. Oh, my! Do people dedicate blogs? Well, I would like to dedicate this blog to my mother who sewed all of my school clothes, finished my sewing projects when I lost interest in them (that is, made a mistake that required extensive undoing), gave me three sewing machines (one was a toy -- but it really sewed!), and got me started on needlepoint and embroidery. She would be so happy to know that I share her love of fabric and needlework, and whenever I finish a project, I feel her pleasure.

Here is a picture of my first sewing machine. I so loved using it, and it really sews! It had a little clamp to hold it still on a table. The wheel on the right makes the needle go up and down. The presser foot also goes up and down, and it has feed dogs to move the fabric along!


7 comments:

  1. My mother used to finished all my projects when I got frustrated, too. LOL I think that dedicating your blog to your mother is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Joan! Your first sewing machine is super cute! What a lovely idea to dedicate your blog to someone special in your life - looking forward to seeing some more Kaffe blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A late happy birthday Joan! I have not been on Facebook lately...would have seen it there i should think.

    SO turning fifty and starting a blog...brilliant! Both these events will find you having much more freedom in expression and attitude.

    I love that you dedicated the blog to your mum....for my first post I put on a Chinese smoking jacket and made a real event out of it! Am about to publish my 200th post...hard to imagine that two years ago I was a computer illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging merry-go-round Joan, I'm sure you will be a complete natural!
    That little sewing machine beauty is a work of art, what a fantastic heirloom of the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, it is a great way to see what others are doing and be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you kept yours in very good condition
    did you make the little wooden base for it?
    its adorable, i have one too
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98764574@N00/463409381/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love little toy machines too! It's so fun to see your little red one. Its a real beauty. I'll be back to your blog for another visit soon. I enjoyed what I read!

    ReplyDelete