Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Day of Summer/Father's Day


My sister-in-law usually has Father’s Day at her house, but she and my niece are out of town, so I invited my brother and the rest of the family to gather at our house. It was supposed to rain, but other than one brief shower, it was sunny with a beautiful blue sky (although a little windy at times). I made homemade BBQ rub and sauce for chicken breasts – which I soaked in a brine for 2 hours before grilling. The chicken came our tender and juicy with a wonderful tangy flavor which tasted great with a fresh green salad with creamy avocado dressing. The meal ended with a delicious warm apple strudel with vanilla ice cream (which was especially good because I didn’t have to make it). We had a nice afternoon, but almost immediately afterward I set up the sewing machine and got to work on sewing together those half hexagon strips. I loved how the fabrics looked during lay out, but as I started to sew I fell in love with them all over again. I don’t think my pictures do justice to the wonderful Amy Butler fabrics. Five rows down – out of about 27 – but it’s a good start.



I decided to whip up another block for my Kaffe quilt as well. It was so quick since after cutting for the entire quilt top, I placed the squares and triangles for each block into separate ziplock bags. I think I will try to leave the sewing machine set up all week. I love it when I have blocks ready for sewing, and I can just sit down and do a little here and there in between other projects.


Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving seeing what you are making Joan, that Kaffe quilt is going to be stunning! Love the Amy Butlers too...fabulous xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a FINE first day of summer/Father's Day to me! Looking forward to see your progress on the half-hex quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing how you lay out the hexagons as you sew. I too have to set and tear down. Its so nice when you can leave the machine out and things spread out. I'm loving the Kaffe blocks. Can't wait to see them together (but of course I will)

    ReplyDelete