Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Week Off -- Part One

Yesterday was my 24th wedding anniversary, so my husband, Steve, and I enjoyed a pleasant, leisurely dinner out together. I’m glad that we still have so much to talk and laugh about together after so many years! The little needlepoint stand alone below is part of a set of handpainted canvases I bought several years ago. There is one tiny teapot for each month of the year, plus one for birthdays and about 6 for Christmas. Of course, I bought them all. I thought I should post this picture as it is the canvas for June (and works well to commemorate my anniversary as well). I worked hard and fast on these little canvases and got through October. Maybe I’ll get November and at least December done before those months roll around this year. The thimbles are to give you an idea of how small the stand alones are.


This morning I finally went and bought a camera! I had a really old digital (2.1 mega pixels) that took terrible pictures, and lately I’ve been borrowing my daughter’s Kodak. Now that I have a better camera, if my pictures don’t improve, I can’t blame it on the camera! And I can't wait to get it over to the coast tomorrow!

With new camera now in hand, I am posting new pictures of the half-hexagon quilt that thought it was finished, but then decided to go through yet another make over. Here it is on my dining room table. Oh well, you might as well see my makeshift sewing room as well.



And here is the quilt top on the deck. There’s nothing like a quilt in the sun! As usual, the grass needs cutting and yes, that is clover in the grass. Sigh.


My white cat, Sammy (Samantha) decided to redeem herself after frolicking through my half hexagons oh so many times by learning how to quilt. Actually I just thought she looked cute sleeping with an Amy Butler fabric pillow, but when I went to take the picture, she turned her head and decided to have a Fons and Porter pillow. I guess she wants to learn how to bind quilts for me.



Even though I am on vacation this week I had to run into work today to take a colleague out to lunch (as it was her last day) and drop off flowers for my boss (as her mother passed away recently and she comes back to work tomorrow). Yesterday I made this sweet little quilted “mat” (for lack of a better word) to go under the flowers. I was inspired by a couple of postings on Aneela’s blog, comfortstitching. One was when she salvaged a Dresden plate block and in another she showed how to make a spiderweb quilt. I used leftovers from the half hexagon quilt plus a few scraps. It was fun, easy, and a great way to use up scraps. I can’t wait to make a whole spiderweb quilt. I plan on making more mats to have on hand for little gifts for friends.



Well, I’m off to the beach tomorrow morning, so you won’t hear from me for a few days, but be prepared for lots of pictures early next week. I think I just may go a little crazy!

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

7 comments:

  1. Have a great time at the beach and happy anniversary!!!

    A lot of quilters use the dining room. I love the display cabinet on the wall! If you weren't in the dining room, I'd have never seen it.

    The little mat is very sweet and what a nice idea! The half-hexie quilt is really coming along nicely. And don't all cats quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan!
    And now I've found YOUR blog!!! Yayyy!!!
    :~)
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! Its fun to see pictures of your cute dining room. I too love that cabinet. Quilt looks beautiful in the outdoor setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time at the beach and happy anniversary. I enjoyed all the photos, the stand alones are a novel idea I haven't seen before. We can picture you in your sewing space now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy playing with your new camera!! and have fun on the beach won't you?!!!
    I love your spiderweb mat! you inspired me to make a mat for asha to give to her teacher when the year ends!! Two weeks left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a lovely anniversary last week!! Glad you could get another camera, have fun with that. It's so nice to see your hexi quilt coming together, it looks so good. I love seeing what your naughty cats get up too...they look like they would provide you guys with a lot of laughs!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the colours of your half hexagon and what a wonderful thoughtful idea to use up your scraps.

    ReplyDelete