Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A work in progress (WIP)






These are blocks I made a couple of weekends ago at the coast. They are part of a Kaffe Fassett design, Red Columns Quilt, from Westminster Patchwork and Quilting Book Number 2 (published in 2000). I have always loved it and have been wanting to make it for a long time. This is a project that I will be working on in between other projects. Hmmm. I don't seem to do it any other way. It took a lot of thinking and a little math during the cutting, because the quilt was meant to be made with templates (and the directions are written that way); however, I wanted to rotary cut them, so I had to figure out the correct size of strips for the squares and triangles, and then figure out which fabrics to use for each shape. Anyway, this is going to be fabulous when completed -- a very warm reddish/goldenish color scheme. There are huge strips of Kaffe's flower lattice fabric, which is so gorgeous, I'm a little afraid to cut into it. Stay tuned for my progress....

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous blocks Joan, isn't the flower lattice fabric just gorgeous, good luck in cutting it!!! So good to see you in blogland, you make beautiful quilts xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always somehow end up doing a ton of maths during my projects, not really out of choice though!! Still it's all good for the brain!
    Great beginnings of a quilt, it's so good to have an inbetweener project you can come back to time and again like an old friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice of Cathy to put a link for you on her blog. I love everything Kaffe and these blocks are looking very yummy. I'm coveting the remains of my flower lattice fabric so I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! Welcome to blogging. I love all things Kaffe, his fabric and work is just beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks! It's going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete