Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Books and Half Hexies


I gave my son a ride to his guitar lesson tonight and poked around a bookstore while I waited for him. There are quite a few quilting books on my wish list right now: Material Obsession, Quilt Shack (by Norum and Krohg), the last two books by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle of Fun Quilts, and the last several by Kaffe Fassett. Yes – I’m a little behind -- and happy that there are so many great books out there on color, design, and all aspects of quilting. However, as I looked through the selections at the bookstore, I was more amazed by how many books seem so uninteresting and uninspired to me. Many of the quilts pictured look flat, lifeless, and downright boring, and don’t get me started on the unimaginative use of color. I am so much more excited and inspired by so many of the quilts I see on quilting blogs. And it’s so fun to watch the design process and construction unfold! I think there are a lot of bloggers out there who have a good quilting book in them!

And so, after making dinner, taking Michael to his lesson/hanging out at the bookstore, and catching up on online quilting inspiration (i.e., wonderful new blog postings), I decided I’d better get busy on finishing my half hexagon quilt top. Unfortunately, I got started too late and didn’t get to finish it. Twenty-one of twenty-seven rows are completed, so I’m getting close! I couldn’t resist giving a little sneak preview of these yummy, yummy strips! Don't forget that you can click on pictures for a closer look.



Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the book front!!! I find the world of quilty bloggers and flickr infinately more inspiring than the entire quilt book shelf. The photography in particular on blogs is exceptional don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos.....the kaffe books are so well photographed that it really inspires me to want to create in different ways using colours pulled from vases pots walls stones etc

    good work with the rows of half hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what blogging has done for me, inspirational photographs and seeing the processes other quilters go through to get their wonderful results. Hope to see the hexie quilt together soon. It tell you the truth I tend to look at the pictures, if it grabs my attention then I go back and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you on Comfort Stitching, in a comment. I decided I need to comment more often, because I love the comments on my own blog. I love the quilt. I want to try half hexies too, but have several UFO's I need to finish first.
    My kids don't even comment on mine, and I started it mainly to help them keep up with our household.
    have a nice day
    ~a

    ReplyDelete