Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The balancing act

There have just been too many things to do, too many directions to go in, too much needing attention, and not nearly enough time to do it all, let alone do anything well.  Sigh.  I kind of hate that.

I've added new responsibilities, which means rearranging, making room, finding time, managing stress, maintaining balance....

It can be challenging, and it definitely takes a toll on any sewing....
I don't think I've sewed for at least 3 weeks.  Oh, that was hard to type!
I didn't realize just how long it had been until I decided to sew a couple of blocks tonight, and the sewing machine wasn't in it's usual location.  It is still packed up in it's case from a little sewing in Seaside.

Saddest picture ever!  Not only is my sewing machine still packed up, but I photographed it in front of the quilt rack of shame: There are six unfinished quilt tops on it (and I actually have more -- gasp!).  And guess what's piled up in the sewing machine's usual spot?  Packages with fabric for quilting bees!

Here is a picture of the last thing I sewed while at the coast -- more AB blue and green cross blocks.
This poor, neglected project is moving ahead by inches.  But at least it's moving -- somewhat.
I need a good weekend of nothing but sewing and catching up on blog reading, flickr, and twitter.  Okay, better make that a week!
My apologies to all my bloggy friends, and I promise to visit you again very soon!

Somehow I'm managing to keep my head above water and a smile on my face, thanks to wonderful support from family and friends.  And a little physical activity is pretty nice, too -- especially for managing stress!

Improv(E) Your Butt Button
I joined this challenge, hosted by Katie (Sew Katie Did) and Jacquie (Tall Grass Prairie Studio).  Click on the picture above to read about the details.  I got a bit of a late start, but am racking up the miles running and walking and have lost about 5 pounds.

How do you manage stress?  How do you achieve and maintain balance in your life?

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

17 comments:

  1. wow Joan, this post made my neck tighten up! this is exactly how i have been feeling for the past couple months. How do I manage stress? besides a glass of wine now and then....hum, i'm not sure! I do know that a good workout is the best remedy! Keep walking and running! I've got to do the same!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, on a happy note....I LOVE your blue and green cross blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cross blocks are looking fabulous! I've been thinking about you lately and wondering what you've been up to, and now I know - lots and lots. Glad to hear that you have some great support from family and friends. I haven't sewn in weeks either, and i miss it. How do I manage stress? Start to say 'no' I think, pair back if I can and know it wont last forever (oh, and chat to a friend). I'm still struggling with the whole balance thing. Hope you can take it easy this week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crosses quilt will be worth the time it takes! I love how much white you're using, makes it very fresh!

    My neck have told me to slow down, too, and I just have to listen... Adapting to reality can be hard. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Joan - I'm going through a bit of madness, too. Keep your spirits up and try to pace yourself - don't eat the elephant all in one bite. It will all get done and you will get back to those lovely crosses. Hang in there, and don't forget the glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cross quilt is looking stunning! I don't deal with stress too well .... sometimes deep breathing helps and I'm learning to say no. I need to start exercising. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get a little bit of time to sew. Lists and being very organized help me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan...hope life settles a little soon...hard when it all seems to snowball & there is no "Joan" time to recuperate! Glad to hear you have some fab supports...I wish I had some sage advice, but life gets on top of me at times too! If possible pare down the demands and prioritise, try to rest, don't put extra pressures on yourself and try to find a little down time! Take care of yourself! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know when life gets busy I really DO want to sew...only to avoid my duties. But sometimes we need to do the things we need to do. Sounds like that's what you're doing. So keep it up! You'll get back to sewing very soon. Your crosses look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on losing 5 pounds, Joan! Keep up the great work with the new exercise challenge. I have these moments too, when there are too many things going on in life, too many demands, and no room for moments to yourself or moments to create something. It can be so tough! A regular exercise routine has helped me (lost 20 lbs), but also confiding with my husband helps. Losing myself in a good movie or good book can be helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - I forgot to mention, your cross block quilt looks great! I love the wonkiness of it and the contrasting backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Congrats on the exercise and weight loss! Your cross quilt is looking stunning. And you totally cracked me up with your "quilt rack of shame"! When life gets stressful I focus on food and sleep first, and then just keep doing the "next" thing, while trying to remember to breathe! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel ya! every word...the balancing act is a hard one and at times feels too overwhelming. I will keep you in my thoughts, but I know you will land with your feet firmly planted on the ground. Too hip, hip, hoorays for the 5lbs.....that is awesome. and your rack of shame if officially being renamed the rack of beauty!! I LOVE IT! all those tops hanging so beautifully....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Joan, I hope things settle down for you. I am so NOT the person to ask about handling stress! And with two wee ones in the house and underfoot, it looks to me like you've been getting lots done. Although the Quilt Rack of Shame had me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been missing you for sure! I handle stress usually by avoidance mode. I can spend hours reading quilting blogs and then chastising myself for not getting anything done. Last night I actually spent three hours reading a novel. I can't remember the last time that happened. It was so enjoyable, but I felt guilty at the same time, thinking I should be "doing something." So I had another glass of wine.

    Your cross quilt is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ditto ~ same as everyone else ~love your cross blocks. My naturopath told me to help with stress, when in my car driving home from work "turn up the music and have a good long scream", it releases the built up stress and it sure makes you laugh when you think of yourself driving along screaming! Hope you find time for some soothing sewing. from Jenny McH

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cross quilt it almost done! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete