Wednesday, September 29, 2010

NW Quilting Expo 2010 Part Three: Ann Johnston, Featured Instructor



Quilter, author, and teacher Ann Johnston loves to experiment with fabric dye.  Her work is as beautiful as it is interesting, and was a real highlight of the expo for me.

 Fallen/2006 
Monoprinted dye on cotton sateen.

 9 Blue Characters/2007 
Machine pieced cotton sateen.  Hand quilted by Oswego Quilters.

 Arch #7 Freehand/2008 
Whole cloth monoprinted dye on cotton sateen.

 Striped Arch/2005
Whole cloth printed and painted dye on cotton sateen.

Arch and Circle/2005
 Whole cloth printed and painted dye on cotton sateen.


 Sand in the Wind/2006
Hand painted dye on cotton broadcloth


 Writing Uphill/2006
Hand printed and painted dye on cotton broadcloth



 Pencil and Ink Days/2007
Monoprinted dye on cotton sateen

 Looking Back (double cross#10)
Whole cloth iron stained silk

 Is it a Game?/2006
Hand painted dye on cotton broadcloth



 Weathered Memories/2008
Balace #30: In between
Wholecloth iron stained silk.

 Countless/2009
Hand dyed cotton broadcloth




 Dragon and Phoenix/2009
Hand dyed cotton sateen

 Ann Johnston



I love them all, but Sand in the Wind is my favorite.  What's yours?

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

9 comments:

  1. another great quilt show. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Pencil and Ink Days the best, but they're all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm stunned. These are really amazing! I always thought fabric dyeing seemed so fun to try. Hard to pick a favorite but I think I would choose the first one, Fallen. (another technique I hope to try someday is that monoprint) Thanks for sharing these - they are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two favourites are, Striped Arch & Arch and Circle ~ they give me the impression of beautiful buildings in an exotic far-away land. from Jenny McH

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to choose, but I really like Pencil and Ink Days and Dragon and Phoenix. And Striped Arch.
    I hope this is a yearly event! I'd love to go next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell completely in love with Pencil and Ink Days / 2007!
    Thank you for bringing us along with you...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super big thank you for sharing these!!! What incredible quilts!! It's very hard to pick a favourite. I keep going through them and come up with a different favourite each time. They're all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pencil and ink days. What a wonderful collection of art pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for posting these...not my usual thing to like, but the colors really draw the eye and you can tell she puts a lot of thought into them!

    ReplyDelete