Saturday, September 25, 2010

NW Quilting Expo 2010 Part One: Quilts and Vendors

I was pleasantly surprised by the more modern quilts and art quilts displayed at this year's show,  and even more pleasantly surprised to run into two friends and Portland Modern Quilters, Tobey S. and Lisa P. Quilt shows are definitely more fun with friends!

Now, get a coffee, tea, or glass of wine, and sit back and enjoy some quilting eye candy:

France Fabric Foray with Fons and Friends by Bev Sheeley
Pattern: A Bouquet of Quilts by Rounds and Rymar
Primarily made with French fabrics from a 2007 trip on the Fons and Porter Tour de Provence.  The border commemorates the French red poppy fields in bloom.

Anthony's City by Laura Newton
"Three Dimensional Design" by Katie Pasquini and "Optical Illusions for Quilters" by Karen Combs
Made for her son based on computer games and representing going down into an evil city.


 The Cotton Club 19 year Anniversary Quilt by Cheryl Little
Quilted by Mom's Quilters and Karen Hanson
Made from 4" squares mailed to Cotton Club members from 10 counties the first 10 years of Boise Basin Quilters

 History and Tradition by Judy Eselius, Quilted by Myrna Ficken
Venice at Carnival from the book, People of the Book
Piecing, machine applique, and fusing.


Optical Sun by Sharon Stern
Inspired by a visit to a quilt show in Tokyo.

Fracture by Bonnie M. Bucknam
One of a series of quilts evocative of landforms, based on the "V" or triangle.


View Toward Indio by Bonnie M. Bucknam

The Long and Short of It by Mary Kay Price
Machine pieced cottons, hand quilted with embroidery floss and perle cotton.

The Best of Show Award: Autumn Beauty by Barbara Shapel
The back of the quilt is the same scene at night and in reverse.


 In the Playpen by Janice W. Hearn
Hand painted silk organza layered, fused, embellished with foil, decorative threads, and beads
and framed using Jean Wells' portrait method.
A small quilt.


 Fall's Fire by Mary Arnold
Inspired by a careful arrangement of leaves that the quilt maker picked up off the street.

Details by Linda Reinhart
A small quilt


Mason's Guitars by Pat Busby
Made for a grandson's thirteenth birthday.


  Me and My Shadow by Gail Stepanek and Ronda K. Beyer
Quilted by Ronda K. Beyer

Garden Scene by Mary Arnold
A small quilt, about the size of a piece of paper.

 From Ugly Duckling to Beautiful Swan by Sally LeRoy
Pattern Design by Carol Bryert Fuller
Inspired by the book, The Book Thief

 Converge by Mary Arnold

 This quilt was made as part of the Hoffman Challenge.  Unfortunately, the photo I took of the label came out blurred, so I can't make out the name of the quilt or it's maker. It stood out to me because of it's use of warmer colors with the cooler colors of the Hoffman Challenge fabric.

 Stream of Consciousness Defies Logic by Debbie Gehman, Niskayuna, NY.
Also part of the Hoffman Challenge.

 The Beauty of Metamorphosis by Connie Samara, Castle Rock, Colorado
Hoffman Challenge quilt.


 Shangri-La by Judy Beskow, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Hoffman Challenge quilt.

Busy Bee Designs of West Linn, Oregon had a very tempting booth.
 I just love a good Union Jack quilt (Busy Bee Designs - Victory Garden pattern).


 I was especially tempted by little fat eighths of fabric that looked like refined burlap but was very soft.  It turned out to be raw silk!  I can't believe I didn't buy any!

The Stitchin' Post (Sisters, Oregon).

I have some of these Valori Wells fabrics in a cooler color way, but now I'm drooling for these warmer colors!

Thanks for staying till the end, but I have a little secret.
My three favorite things about the show were quilts by Jean Wells, Ann Johnston, and Studio Art Quilts Associates, and I haven't even shown you those yet!  Stay tuned for Parts Two, Three, and Four.

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing these great photos. Love the Victory Garden pattern, I have had my eye on it for a while. And last week I won a few fat quarters of Valori Wells' 'Nest' fabrics, as a door prize, they are so lovely I need to buy more. Looking forward to seeing your favourites of the show. from Jenny McH (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful quilts ... thanks for sharing! I can't wait for post 2, 3 and 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the eye candy! Looking forward to seeing the next parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Thanks for sharing...so so beautiful...and so so HARD!!! WOW there is some amazing talent out there! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the eye candy, those quilts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan, What a fabulous show!! I am in love with all the quilts. Such talent in the quilting world. Thank you for sharing. I am looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all the pictures and the details about them. Such beautiful work... great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best quilt show post I've ever seen. It must have taken a bit of work, but it is so appreciated. I love that you included the credits and a bit about the quilt as well as a detail shot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are amazing quilts! I love how modern they are. I think that 3D quilt is the coolest! Reminds me of the techniques in perspective we are learning in drawing class. I also love that Venice scene. So impressive to see all the piecing and quilting detail! Can't wait to see more of this great day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Joan... THANK YOU for bringing us to quilt expo!!! It's like I got to go and be there. I love how you tell us about who made it and bonus close-up too. It really is the closest thing to being there. ThANK YOU so much for posting, and for the next installments too (I CAN'T WAIT!).

    PS... I heart Busy Bee/Michelle & Birdie and The Stitchin' Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How inspiring! What a fantastic selection of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Joan! That first quilt with the tiny log cabin blocks is similar to one that I "copied" (in a larger block size) but have never quilted. I need to get on that!! I look forward to your next posts and more great quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous post, Jaon. : ) Thanks for the trip to the Show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joan, thanks for taking these photos and sharing them with us!! I was at expo on thursday....should have taken my sleeping bag...could have stayed the entire weekend!

    ReplyDelete