Saturday, September 18, 2010

Maintaining the balance

I am working hard to maintain the balance of family, friends, full time job, being an adjunct instructor at PSU, running a pediatric treatment study group, participating on a couple of boards, quilting (including bees, quiltalongs, PMQG, etc.), reading, exercising, and spending an appropriate amount of time at the beach (which to me is as much as possible).  And those are just the highlights.  But, we are ALL very busy, and we ALL have the same amount of time in the day (not enough).  No matter what we let go of or say no to, we all manage to fill our lives up.  The trick is to enjoy the ride.  Here are a few things I'm doing to thrive while maintaining the balance.

Exercise:
A friend gave my husband a guest pass to the Nike Employee Store.  We've been given passes before, but this is the first time I've gone along.  I was so overwhelmed at first that after choosing a new pair of running shoes, I just pretty much enjoyed watching the rest of the family filling carts.  After some encouragement from my husband, I added some running socks, shirts, and jackets.  And then, my new favorite toy -- 
I seriously thought after this morning's run/walk that I would find out that I hadn't gone as far as I thought, but I was wrong! I actually went father than I would have guessed.  Now I can use my running app, listen to music, and track my stats all at the same time!  Does that count as multitasking?
I can almost feel my butt improving already (smile).  Check out the Improv(e) Your Butt challenge to prevent or treat quilter's butt today.  And if you're using a Nike + iPod or involved in the IYB challenge, I'd love to hear about it!

Sleeping like a baby:
Or a cat on a quilt.  Hmmm.  Must be all that exercise.


Spending time with family and friends:
-- especially if it involves sharing a meal together.


Lots of prep work:
I love my grad students already, even though I won't meet them for two more weeks.

Being inspired by fellow Portland Modern Quilters:
Elizabeth presents on fabric dyeing.

My friend, Tobey, shares her version of Kate Conklin's Wonky Donkey quilt.

My friend, Violet, shows off her beautiful quilt and fabulous label.

Check out the Portland Modern Quilt Guild blog, where I just posted all the latest from last Thursday's meeting.

Are you involved in a local modern quilt guild?  How's it going in your area?

With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

12 comments:

  1. Hi Joan...it is hard to do all that we should or wish to do...I don't know what the solution is as I constantly struggle with work/home/life demands. You sound happy & fulfilled & that is what matters. No quilting guilds near me just a small group of good friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're all trying to balance it all. Looks like you're including all of the essentials.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't easy to have balance in our lives is it? You look as though you are doing a great job of it though. I have found walking difficult here through a cold wet winter, I know that is just an excuse though. Thanks for the inspiration to balance! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of trouble getting everything in, too! Sometimes it is hard when I want to choose the things that are actually important but need to do the things that aren't really as important--like cleaning.
    I have gone to a few Seattle Modern Quilting Guild meetings, but lately they've been on days with conflicts for me. The Portland one looks so good it makes me wanna drive down and go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are staying busy! I have a new goal of being able to jog a mile. The sad thing is I have never been able to do it. Thanks for some motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't run buit I can walk, I just wish they had footpaths in my town. You're doing a good job of balancing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks to me like you are enjoying the ride quite well! Good for you for plugging away on your running routine! I think it's really fun to have so many things going on... as long as I can maintain the energy and keep it all in perspective.

    I always envy your posts about your modern quilt guild. Madison doesn't have one (yet). There is a chapter combining Milwaukee and Madison, but the two cities aren't very close to each other, so the meetings are kinda far to drive to. So I'm still looking for that group to click with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to your PMQG recaps! You do such a great job - we're all so lucky!

    NEXT month... NO MEETINGS for you before guild! MISSED YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just talking with my husband about the struggle to find that balance. We both are hoping to get a little (maybe a lot) better at it.

    Your Nike + iPod sounds interesting!

    I'm having so much fun with the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. And learning lots! There are some amazingly talented experienced quilters in the bunch AND some wonderful new quilters who are sharing their very beautiful 1st quilts. Such a nice group of people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for getting out there and movin' it around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the nike+ipod on my birthday list....i figure that Izzy isn't really a good excuse for the extra 20lbs I am hanging on too, since she it 3!! Balancing life is always a hard task, but it looks as though you are handling it well! Just make sure to get is some "me" time, it seems to be what keeps us women on top of our game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are my role model Joan, seriously. I think you might have that balance down quite well!

    ReplyDelete