Friday, May 28, 2010

Hexie swap

I have a new obsession: English paper piecing tiny hexagons!  I joined the Handsome Hexies Flickr group, which is a great place to go for a little hexie inspiration, and then joined a swap that is a spin-off from that group, Handsome Hexies - The Swap.  The swap involves basting 25 hexies for a swap partner, and I hope my partner likes these Anna Maria Horner Good Folks hexies.


If you look closely at the basting stitches, you can see that initially I took more and smaller stitches.  I really wanted them to be crisp and neat and not fall apart.  After making several and going back and looking at other photos online, I realized that I could take bigger stitches and still make sure my corners remained snug.  I made two stacks -- one for my partner and one for myself.  I think I have made at least 70 so far in all!  My little packet of 100 1" hexagon paper pieces from Fabric Depot seemed like so many at the time, but now I'm trying to figure out when I can make a trip back over for more, more, more.  Yes -- I definitely have a new obsession.

22 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics you chose for your hexagons. I'm sure your swap partner will love them.

    sigh...I miss Fabric Depot. They have the best sales. I may have to make a trip home to the Northwest so I can stop by there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are gorgeous!! aren't they about the most addictive thing ever....I'm just hoping that my hand-stitching pace picks up. otherwise it will take me a year to complete the quilt i started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! It definitely is an obsession of mine too. I can't help it... it's a great way to use scraps!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun are these! i do larger stitches too, takes less time and you pull them out anyway!

    in awe of you dahlink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, hexies here on your blog too! :-) Yes, they are really addictive, and yours are very pretty!
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I was at Fabric Depot (earlier this week, I think), they were out of all sizes of paper hexes except for 1/2"... they're obviously not keeping up with the demand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooo heart hexies and I know only too well how addicting they are!! yours are beautiful btw...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Yes, they are addicting. As is everything quilting related it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan, these are some of the cutest I've seen! I haven't gotten on the hexie bandwagon yet, but have been contemplating starting a project for the car on our Colorado vacation in July. Your post is pushing me closer..........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I hope they are mine. I love this line SEW much, I hope that it's still availble after I move as I have yet to buy the whole line .... *sigh*

    Beautiful Hexies love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I were your partner, I would love those AMH hexies! They look so rich and gorgeous. I have yet to try these, but now I am dying to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joan...I bought some hexie papers today ...how weird is that! I saw a great tut for basting them on beeinmybonnetco.blogspot...have fun...I will have to start mine...yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't purchase hex papers, I trace my hexes onto those subscription cards that are always falling out of magazines. They're the perfect weight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, I can see why the obsession -- how lovely are your hexies?! Um, pretty lovely! Time to go buy more papers. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. whether you handstitch or machine stitch hexagons, I agree, they're addicting Joan! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hexagons and am thinking when my dear jane is done I might start this for my next quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. welcome to the addiction! fun aren't they! (though i only baste on the back to save removing them later!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joan-
    I haven't tried making the hexies yet, sounds too addicting! And I have not been to the Fabric Depot and I moved to this area 2 years ago. Maybe one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful fabric choices, those hexes are addictive for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're so addicting~and you can make them just about anywhere!

    ReplyDelete