Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Too sick to sew

The last thing I tried to do before the serious coughing and sneezing started was to finish this Dresden plate pillow.  Unfortunately, although I was pretending that I wasn't getting sick, my head was too fuzzy for math, and I cut the inner border wider than planned and the outer border too narrow for the pillow form.  


I also had a last minute change of heart and did not keep with my plan of all solids, including using Kona Coal for the plate center and background.  It was about the time I figured out that the whole thing was too small (although it will work with a smaller pillow form) that I realized I had a fever and should probably be in bed rather than sewing and making creative decisions.  


I hate being sick, and it always fills me with overwhelming anxiety.  Friends and colleagues keep emailing me, meetings are being scheduled, events are being planned, deadlines are looming large.    The world keeps moving forward, but I have been defeated by a lousy little virus.  So I am trying to think positive, not succumb to a pity party, and concentrate on getting better.  It is, after all, only temporary and nothing serious.  And all the real and imagined obligations and responsibilities? Well, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara, "I can't think about that right now.  If I do, I'll go crazy.  I'll think about that tomorrow."  Because, as she also said, "Tomorrow is another day."



With wishes, true and kind -- Joan

20 comments:

  1. so, so sorry you're sick! Those deadlines don't sound fun at all!! Hopefully you can rest before getting back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are sick... I've been sick too.

    I get anxiety too when I'm out but guess what? Today is my first full day back at work and everything seems to be alright!

    Fever + Sewing = rarely works out well but your {smaller} pillow will be beautiful!

    Take care,
    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of yourself...no fun being sick! But in spite of it all, your pillow is wonderful, even if not quite what was planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Now, don't worry about us. We'll sit here quietly and try not to disturb you while you get better! Hope you're on the mend SOON! Your pillow is pretty cute in spite of the fever. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, I'm so sorry to hear about your getting sick. I think it must be traveling the coast line cuz my boys and sister are all experiencing the same symptoms. I hope u are feeling better soon. I love your dresdon block and think it will make for a gorgeous small pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that you have a nasty little virus! Hope you start feeling better soon. I know it is not good to stitch when sick...we all make mistakes...rest & recover then you can sew with a clear head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you feel better soon. We'll all be here when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww crud! But...tomorra is another day! Hope you are better by then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending lots of get well thoughts to you from Australia. Sorry to hear you aren't well, it's miserable being sick isn't it. Your little dresden plate is gorgeous. Thinking of you today xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Joan, I´m sorry that you are sick! Get well soon! Your pillow ist beautiful.
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joan, so sorry to hear you are sick! It is no fun being sidelined by a nasty virus. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Your dresden plate pillow looks great by the way! Looking forward to your healthy return ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must be really sick! Yuk! Hope you are feeling better soon, very soon. I adore your mini dresden plate project! I think the combination of the blue fabrics really make the center glow. Very cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you get soon Joan! No fun being sick when you have lots you want to do and you can see others just getting on with life. I like your pillow especially the lovely wide outer border.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quick, get better but don't cut fabric in the meantime. It's turned out lovely despite the whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feel better soon! Love the way the print you chose showcases the dresden plate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let's see, is it feed a cold and starve a fever, or visa versa?! Get well wishes, true and kind, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather, Joan. I hope someone is making you a cup of tea and bringing you some nice soup.

    Your Dresden Plate pillow is cute. I like the way it turned out. Stitching will be there when you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. aww Joan, I hope you're feeling better now!!
    let's just sing a song and think happy thoughts! here we go.... "it's a beatiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood....... won't you be, my neighbor!?" Have a great friday Joan!

    ReplyDelete